Wednesday 6 March 2013

“SANDESH” RECIPE- Sweet Nothings from my Kitchen with a twist of Chocolate




I have a confession to make, although I love cooking but not very enthusiastic about trying or making sweets/deserts. Chocolate is the only thing which can lure my attention. I can be totally sinful when it comes to chocolates. I am one of those unfortunate people born without sweet tooth! I run a mile away when I am presented with a platter of sweets whenever we visit friends and family. However ‘V” is very fond of sweets and this allows me to balance the missing doses of sweetness in my life ;)

When it comes to trying sweet recipes at home, I like to try out traditional sweet dishes compared to other exotic sweet dishes.
But I have to admit that there are times when I can’t suppress the cravings for something sweet once in ‘very rare’ blue moons. There are times when I just feel like making something sweet to break the usual monotony. I decided to try this recipe because I wanted to serve something sweet for the dinner with the available limited stock in my pantry. It is very easy to make and recommended for people like me who doesn’t have an absolute sweet tooth.
So here is the recipe…..

Ingredients:
Full Cream Milk: ½ Liter
Lemon Juice: 1 lemon
Water: 1 tblsp
Powdered Sugar: 6 tblsp
Corn flour: 1 tsp
Chopped Almonds: 1 Tblsp
Kesar(Saffron): Soaked in ¼ cup of milk
Chocolate Syrup: 1 tsp





Method:
1.    Boil milk. Dilute lemon juice with water and add it to the boiling milk and keep stirring till the milk curdles completely. Just follow the process similar to making cottage cheese at home.
2.    Strain the curdled milk in a muslin cloth. Hang it for 3o minutes till it is devoid of any water/moisture. You can keep squeezing the water in between to speed up the process.
3.    Grind the mixture now with powdered sugar in the mixer with corn flour until it turns smooth.
4.    To make a smooth dough, keep kneading the mixture with your hand for 4-5 minutes.
5.    Take a nonstick pan and heat this mixture on low heat for 8-10 minutes. Take care not to change the color. I added kesar(saffron) milk solution in this stage while continuously stirring it on low heat.
6.    Next step is to add the chocolate syrup and cook it in low flame for 1-2 minutes till it reaches the right consistency to give them shape.
7.    Transfer this to a plate and knead well for a minute.
8.    At this stage when you make a ball, it should be made without any cracks.
9.    Give them round shape, you can try different molds and even make interesting shapes. I like to keep it simple.
10. Decorate with almonds. Keep refrigerated till serving time.

Isn’t this a simple dish to try at home so go ahead and happy tasting and savor the Food for Life!















No comments:

Post a Comment